Saturday, 17 November 2012

Wow! What a wacky couple of days!

It started a few weeks ago when one of my kids was walking along on her way to the shop and had a stick fly up and stab her in the ankle.  She comes inside and here's this stick just sticking out of her leg LOL  So I pull it out and see that it hadn't gone in that far.  She was in agony that night and I was umming and ahring about taking her to the hospital for a 'spot' really...I had actually been up there a few days prior when another one of my kids split her head open, and I was up there for 6 hours and didn't get home to 4 in the morning.  So really,....I didn't want to go through all that again for a spot so thought I'd wait till morning and see how she goes.

The next morning it didn't hurt as bad so I thought that it was probably on the mend and didn't worry about it.  Only she kept whinging about it on and off over the last few weeks, it would swell up and go back down a few times.  Finally her father took her to the doctor who ordered xrays and ultrasounds and she had bits of wood still stuck in her ankle near the bone.  So an appointment for the orthepedic surgeon was made for yesterday.  So step mum takes her up there as I had all the kids here.

Here I was thinking that they'd dither and dawdle about some more but no...I get a phonecall that my daughter was set to have surgery last night!!!

So I call my dad to come watch the kids while I head on up there to paediatrics to sit with my daughter, only to find out they'd rescheduled for this morning.  So I stayed there till about 8.30 as I had to go pick up my other daughter, while she stayed in overnight.

Head on up there again this morning where she went into theatre at about 12pm.  It was the hardest thing I ever had to brave and bubbly as she was, she finally fell apart just before she went in and cried saying "I don't want to do this mum". 

I remember going into surgery when I was 16 and remembering how scared I was....more about the unknown than anything.  It's surgery! 

So here we both were, dressed in our hospital garb crying together as they wheel her into theatre while I held her hand as they put her to sleep.

A couple of hours later she's wheeled back into paediatrics all sore and sorry for herself and pretty groggy.  Thankfully they got all the fragments out which were spread everywhere and had to be 'fished' for.  Bascially they wanted to get them out before an infection developed and it affected the bone - hence the mad rush to get it out!

So it's been a tough couple of days...especially since I didn't have Aaron about to be there for me.  And also having to be sitting around with my ex-husband and his wife....which was fine...but not exactly a walk in the park IYKWIM? 

Anyway...all over red rover and I got her home and well with a strapped up ankle.  Stitches out in two weeks :)


Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.